We’re a small and nimble team seeking an amazing 7th team member.
Programmatic giving at the Peery Foundation (PF) consists of three geographic portfolios: Local, Regional, and Global. The Portfolio Manager will be responsible for day-to-day grant and relationship management for a significant portion of the Regional and Global Portfolios as well as provide oversight and support on projects for all three portfolios. They will also represent the foundation at events. The Portfolio Manager will primarily work with the Portfolio Directors (PD), Portfolio Associate (PA), and the Special Projects Associate (SPA) working with the whole team to achieve our org-wide goals.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Relationship management of ~15-20 social entrepreneur-led organizations including most new Regional and Global Portfolio grantees
- Conducting research and diligence on prospects, communicating to orgs when the PF is not a fit, and preparing prospect review documentation and recommendations
- Creating and processing grants documentation and administration for grantees including grant letters, introductions to PF & next steps, reviewing and finalizing grantee milestones, etc.
- Requesting, reviewing, and responding to grant updates (quarterly newsletters or periodic updates) and recording in knowledge management systems
- Coordinating and providing analysis and evaluation of grantee check-ins
- Providing thought partnership to your subset of grantees, pulling in PDs where relevant
- In collaboration with Social Entrepreneurship PD, developing and fostering relationships with colleague funders to source deals and provide thoughtful introductions for grantees
- Providing first layer of oversight on SPA research projects/landscaping where relevant
- Working with Local PD to identify ways to apply Local PD expertise to Regional Portfolio
- Being a spokesperson for grantee-centric philanthropy and PF philosophy and practice
Possible areas for growth (dependent on performance/deepening experience over time):
- Refining and developing strategy with ED/PDs to guide Regional and Global Portfolios
- Training and supporting PA in managing new grants
- Managing subset of mid-stage grantees
- Collaborating with SPA to create valuable services for grantees across portfolios
- Other ideas that build on your unique experience and contributions
- 5 years experience working with nonprofit social entrepreneur-led organization(s)
- Experience conducting due diligence or analytical evaluation
- Relationship management experience
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Authorization to work in the United States
The ideal candidate will be humble, bright, articulate, detailed, proactive, a team player and very professional--yet personable and friendly. This position requires a high level of confidentiality and a sense of humor.
This job might be for you if you have:
- Ability to take initiative as well as direction
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritizing effectively, and adapt to a fast-paced environment; strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to execute and work autonomously
- Positive, can-do attitude and ability to remain calm under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to navigate multi-stakeholder situations and dialogue
- Tact; able to manage interests of community, grantees, peer funders, and Peery family
- High creative skills; able to solve problems in new ways
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to interact comfortably with school district administrators/city government, with foundations, or with school children and parents
- High tech literacy skills--familiar with Mac OS, MS Office, and related software; internet and email savvy a must--open to steep learning curves on new platforms and systems
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
This is a full-time position based in Palo Alto, California. We’re aiming to fill this position by May 15th. No need for a formal cover letter, but please introduce yourself briefly via email with your resume attached to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, disability, or veteran status.